Sunday, March 7, 2010

ESM SITREP 06 MAR EVENING

From: raj kadyan rajkadyan@yahoo.com
Sent: 06 March 2010 21:53
To: kamboj_cs@yahoo.co.in; TRUNCATED
Subject: ESM SITREP 06 MAR EVENING

Dear Colleagues,
Being abroad I have been out of telephone and email communication since 20 February. I have just returned today. My apologies to those who may have called or sent an email and did not get response. Since it is not possible for me to read all the emails in the Inbox, I will request a repeat send of any email that called for action on my part. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have read about the PMs response to an OROP query in the Parliament. His statement does not reflect the truth as already brought out by Gen Satbir in his Press release. Besides, his reported statement that deliberate efforts are being made to create a divide between the ESM and the government is unfortunate. It seems to imply that the ESM are a handmaiden acting at the behest of some political party or other grouping. This is simply not the case.

I also notice a note of regret on the part of some ESM that we failed to supply Mr Advani the statistical data. Mr Advani had been briefred on OROP and was in possession of the main issue that OROP has not been given by the government. He was also briefed that whatever pension enhancement was promised in July 2009 benefiting some 12 lac ESM has also not been implemented.

It may be known that when Mr Nitin Gadkari took over as the BJP President, I had sent him a congratulatory message. In this I had also sought a meeting on OROP giving background of their promise to grant it on the eve of last elections. After a few weeks I got a reply that only contained thanks for the felicitations without any reference to the requested meeting. I made telephonic contact and was told that he was busy at the moment and they would revert. I still wait.

All efforts are being made to keep the issue on the front burner. Besides BJP, on my request Mr Tarlochan Singh, Independent, raised the OROP issue in the Rajya Sabha. He had been given necessary details.

I also noticed an odd comment that we are ‘complaining’ on not being invited for talks with the government. I do not think anyone from the IESM management has ever complained. Our not being included in the talks is a proof of our firm stand on OROP and that we would not accept any compromise.

An occasional lament also keeps getting circulated that we should prepare tables. This point has been discussed in the past and it has been the consistent stand of the IESM that we will only pursue the concept that two retirees with equal rank and equal service be given equal pension. Tables should rightly be made by those in possession of statistical facts and figures. In the normal course these are available with the government and it should be their charter to do so. And obviously they have the data. How else could they announce the exact amount it would cost the government if and when OROP or any other enhancement is implemented?

As already announced, our next depositing of medals is scheduled on 14 March 2010. I am sure those genuinely interested in pursuit of OROP would hand over their medals. I am very hopeful of success if we continue our pressure without resorting to methods that are not in keeping with our ethos and discipline.

Best regards,
Lt Gen (Emeritus) Raj Kadyan, PVSM, AVSM, VSM
Chairman IESM